1. Lying on your back, bring your arms out to the sides with the palms facing down in a T position. Bend both knees into the chest.
2. Exhale drop both knees over to the left side of your body, twisting the spine and low back. Slide the knees as close to the left arm as possible. Look at the right finger tips.
3. Keep the shoulders flat to the floor, close the eyes, and relax into the posture. Let gravity pull the knees down, so you do not have to use any effort in this posture.
4. Breathe and hold for 6-10 breaths.
5. To release: inhale and roll the hips back to the floor.
6. Repeat on other side.
Benefits + Contraindications
Benefits: Belly Twist pose stretches the back muscles, realigns and lengthens the spine, and hydrates the spinal disks.
Contraindications: Recent or chronic injury to the knees, hips or back.
Modifications + Variations
Modifications: Place a folded blanket under the knees.
Variations: Rest the left hand on the right knee adding more weight for gravity to pull the knees down.