1. Lie on your belly, with the chin on the floor, arms along side your body and legs together.
2. Bend both knees and reach the hands back to hold onto the feet or ankles.
3. Inhale and kick the legs into the arms to lift the legs, head and chest off of the floor.
4. Keep the neck in line with the spine and relax the shoulders down from the spine. Lightly press the knees together, keeping them from splaying out to the sides.
5. Breathe and hold for 2-6 breaths, trying not to rock excessively on the belly as you breathe.
6. To release: exhale and slowly lower the chest, head and thighs to the floor. Release the arms and legs down to the floor. Turn the head to one side and rest, rock the hips from side to side to release any tension in the low back.
Benefits + Contraindications
Benefits: This pose tones the whole body, strengthens the wrists, and opens the shoulders and hips. Bird that lives on raindrops pose also improves focus, balance and concentration.
Contraindications: Recent or chronic injury to the knees, hips, arms or shoulders, pregnancy and recent abdominal surgery.
Modifications + Variations
Modifications: If you cannot reach both feet with the hands either wrap a yoga strap around the ankles and hold on with both hands.
Variations: Use Half Bow pose as an easier variation to full Bow.