1. In Mountain pose with the feet together or hip width apart, inhale the palms togther in front of the heart into Anjali Mudra.
2. Exhale and bend the knees, squatting down. Reach the hips down and back as if you were going to sit on the edge of a chair, bringing your weight to the heels of the feet. Do not bring the hips lower than the level of the knees. Make sure that the knees are pointing straight ahead.
3. Keeping the palms together, bring the right elbow to the left knee and look over the left shoulder at the back corner of the ceiling. Use the arms to roll the left shoulder up and back to feel a deep twist in the upper back.
4. Breathe and hold for 3-6 breaths.
5. To release: inhale and press down into the feet straightening the legs and inhale the arms up toward the ceiling.
6. Repeat on the other side.
Benefits + Contraindications
Benefits: Twisting Chair pose strongly strengthens the lower body while stretching the upper back and shoulders. This posture invigorates and energizes the whole body.
Contraindications: Recent or chronic injury to the hips, knees, back or shoulders.
Modifications + Variations
Modifications: A) If the feet are hip width apart you can place a yoga block between the thighs to help keep the knees pointing forward. B) Sit in a chair.