1. Lying on your back, inhale the right knee in towards the chest. Wrap the right middle and index fingers around the right big toe. Inhale and begin to straighten the right leg up towards the ceiling.
2. Exhale and slowly lower the right leg to the right side of your body. Keep the leg as straight as possible and lower it as close to the floor as comfortable. Place the left hand on the left hip to keep the hipbone from lifting off the floor.
3. Press out through the heel and at the same time gently pull the toes back towards your head. Tuck the chin into the chest and gently press the shoulders down into the floor.
4. Breathe and hold for 2-6 breaths.
5. To release: inhale the leg back up, exhale and gently release the arm and leg to the floor.
6. Repeat on other side.
Benefits + Contraindications
Benefits: Supine Hand to Toe pose deeply stretches the back of the leg, opens the hips and realigns the spine.
Contraindications: Recent or chronic injury to the leg, hip or shoulder.
Modifications + Variations
Modifications: Wrap a yoga strap around the foot and hold onto it.
Variations: A) Bend the leg resting on the floor with the foot flat and the heel close to the hips. B) Place a folded blanket or yoga block under the extended foot / leg.