Five Pointed StarLevel of Difficulty: Basic
1. From Mountain pose, step the feet wide apart, with the arms out to the side. The feet should be under the wrists, facing forward and parallel.
2. Press your weight into the feet, pull up the knee caps and squeeze the thighs, tuck the tailbone, and feel the legs strong and solid, rooted into the floor.
3. Reach out through the fingertips, trying to touch the side walls. Relax the shoulders down and back, gently opening the chest towards the front of the room.
4. Inhale and press the crown of the head up towards the ceiling. Look straight ahead with the chin parallel to the floor.
5. Inhale deeply into the belly and chest, exhale press into the feet, fingers and crown, feeling your body expanding out in 5 directions.
6. Keep breathing and hold for 4-8 breaths.
7. To release, bend one knee and step back into Mountain pose.
Benefits + Contraindications
Benefits: Five pointed star lengthens, opens and energizes the whole body. This posture also realigns the spinal column and opens the chest, improving circulation and respiration.
Modifications + Variations
Modifications: Place the hands on the hips.