half pyramidLevel of Difficulty: Beginner
1. From table position, step the right foot between the hands, bringing the right knee directly over the right ankle into Low Lunge. The left knee and foot rests on the floor.
2. Exhale straightening the right leg, pressing the hips towards the left heel. Round the spine, pressing the forehead to the right kneecap, lift the right toes up towards the ceiling.
3. Walk the hands in towards you to support the torso. Soften the elbows, relax the shoulders, neck and face.
4. Breathe and hold for 4-8 breaths.
5. To release: Inhale and bend the right knee back over the ankle, then exhale and bring the right knee back into table position.
6. Repeat on other side.
Benefits + Contraindications
Benefits: Half pyramid deeply stretches the back of the leg and calms the mind and emotions.
Contraindications: Recent or chronic injury to the legs or knees.
Modifications + Variations
Modifications: A) Place a folded blanket under the knees to protect them from pressure and stress. B) Use blocks under your hands.
Variations: This pose is an easier variation of the full Pyramid pose.
Use one or more of the following postures to build a sequence ending after this pose: Low Lunge, Half Prayer Twist.