Ardha Urdhva Upavishta Konasana
Half Upright Seated AngleLevel of Difficulty: Beginning
1. From Bound Angle pose, grab the big toes with the middle and index finger of each hand or hold on to each foot with each hand.
2. Inhale and lift the right foot off of the floor. Straighten the right leg out towards the corner of the room, kicking out through the heel.
3. Make sure you are not leaning over to one side, gently pulling on the left foot to stay straight.
4. Drop the shoulders down and back, and press the chest open.
5. Breathe and hold for 4-6 breaths.
6. To release: slowly exhale and bend the right knee, bringing both feet together on the floor.
7. Repeat on other side.
Benefits + Contraindications
Benefits: Half Upright Seated Angle opens the hips, stretches the backs of the legs and groin.
Contraindications: Recent or chronic injury to the knees, hips or shoulders.
Modifications + Variations
Modifications: Use a yoga strap around the foot, holding on to it with the hand.
Variations: This is an easier variation of Half Upright Seated Angle.