1. From Plank pose, bring the right palm to center on the floor. Bring the outside of the right foot on the floor in line with the palm
2. Stack the left foot on top of the right, with the inner edges of the feet in contact.
3. Press the right hand down into the floor and lift the hips making the legs and torso one straight line.
4. When you feel balanced, lift the left hand up towards the ceiling, making the arms one straight line.
5. Press the outer edge of the right foot down, pull up the knee caps and squeeze the thighs, and buttocks. Look straight ahead, with the chin off the chest.
6. Breathe and hold for 2-5 breaths.
7. To release: exhale and bring the left hand down to the floor, bring both toes tucked under on the floor, into plank pose.
8. Repeat on other side.
Benefits + Contraindications
Benefits: Side plank tones the whole body, especially strengthening the upper body and arms. Side plank improves focus, balance and concentration.
Recent or chronic injury to the arms, hips, ankles or shoulders.
Modifications + Variations
Modifications: Bend the lower knee to the floor.
Variations: A) Bend the upper knee and place the top foot on the lower knee. B) Interlace the middle and index finger of the upper arm around the big toe of the upper leg and press the upper heel up to the ceiling while gently pulling back on the big toe.