1. Seated in Staff pose, spread the legs out as wide as comfortable with the toes and knee caps pointing straight up.
2. Twist from the waist to face the right leg. As you exhale, walk both hands towards the right foot and reach the forehead to the knee.
3. Hold onto the right foot if possible. Bend the elbows slightly to relax the shoulders and neck. To deepen the stretch in the back of the leg, gently press out through the heel and pull the toes towards your body.
4. Breathe and hold for 3-8 breaths.
5. To release: slowly walk the hands in and roll up the spine.
6. Repeat on the other side.
Benefits + Contraindications
Benefits: Side seated angle opens the hips and deeply stretches the backs of the legs.
Contraindications: Recent or chronic injury to the low back, legs, or hips.
Modifications + Variations
Modifications: A) Place a blanket under the hips or the heels. B) Place a bolster or several blankets between the legs to rest the torso on.
Variations: Have the hands hold onto the ankles or feet.