TriangleLevel of Difficulty: Beginning
No Flash Player plugin installed! Please visit Adobe.com to update your browser’s plugin.
1. From a standing position with the legs 3 feet apart as in Five Pointed Star, turn the right toes to the right wall and the left toes slightly inwards. Inhale and press the left hips out to the left as you slide both arms to the right parallel to the floor.
2. Exhale and rotate only the arms, raising the left arm up and resting the right hand against the right leg, with the palms facing forward.
3. Press into the feet, pull up the knee caps, keeping the legs strong. Reach the finger tips away from each other, bringing the arms into one straight line with the shoulders stacked on top of each other. Press the left hip forward and the right hip back.
4. Breathe and hold for 3-6 breaths.
5. To release: inhale and reach the raised hand up towards the ceiling as you press down into the feet using the whole body to lift back into 5 pointed star.
6. Repeat on the other side.
Benefits + Contraindications
Benefits: Triangle pose engages every part of the body, strengthens the core, opens the hips and shoulders and stretches the legs.
Contraindications: Recent or chronic injury to the hips, back or shoulders.
Modifications + Variations
Modifications: Use a yoga block on the floor to support the lower hand.
Variations: A) Bring the raised arm over the ear parallel to the floor. B) The lower hand can rest on the floor on the inside or outside of the leg, or the lower hand can grasp the big toe with the middle and index fingers.