1. From Warrior I pose with the right leg forward, exhale the arms behind your back and interlace the fingers together. Squeeze the shoulder blades together, inhale and look up, arching the spine and opening the chest.
2. Keep the legs in a deep lunge as you exhale and hinge at the hips lowering the head and torso towards the floor. Rest the chest on top of the right thigh or bring the torso to the inside of the leg for a deeper stretch.
3. Breathe and hold for 1-5 breaths.
4. To release: A) Keep the shoulders squeezed together as you inhale and press into the legs to lift the head and torso up into Warrior I, or B) Lower the arms to the floor into High Lunge pose.
5. Repeat on the other side.
Benefits + Contraindications
Benefits: Warrior Seal opens the hips, shoulders and chest while stretching and strengthening the legs.
Contraindications: Recent or chronic knee, hip or shoulder injury or inflammation.
Cautions: Unmedicated high blood pressure or pregnancy.
Modifications + Variations
Modifications: Hold onto a yoga strap between the hands.
Variations: Lower the back knee and foot to the floor.
Use one or more of the following postures to build a sequence leading up to this pose: Warrior I.