1. From a kneeling position, with the knees hip width apart, step the right leg straight out to the side with the foot flat on the floor, toes facing the side wall.
2. Inhale the left arm up to the ceiling, with the right hand resting palm down on the right leg.
3. Exhale the left arm to the right, dropping over the ear, and slide the right palm down towards the toes, keeping the arms straight.
4. Press out through the left hip, press down into the foot and knee, and reach out through the fingers and crown of the head. Keep the chin off the chest, looking straight ahead. Press the top shoulder to the back wall, keeping the chest open.
5. Breathe and hold for 3-8 breaths.
6. To release: inhale the left arm up and bring the right knee next to the left.
7. Repeat on the other side.
Benefits: Gate pose stretches the side of the body from the hips to the fingers, increases flexibility of the spine, builds core strength and stimulates digestion, circulation and respiration.
Contraindications: Recent or chronic knee, hip, or shoulder injury or inflammation.
Modifications: Place folded blanket under the bent knee.