No Flash Player plugin installed! Please visit Adobe.com to update your browser's plugin.
1. From Table pose, exhale and lower the hips to the heels and forehead to the floor. Have the knees together or if more comfortable, spread the knees slightly apart.
2. The arms can be overhead with the palms on the floor, the palms or fists can be stacked under the forehead, or the arms can be along side the body with the palms up.
3. Breathe slowly and deeply, actively pressing the belly against the thighs on the inhale.
4. Breathe and hold for 4-12 breaths.
5. To release: place the palms under the shoulders and slowly inhale up to a seated position.
Benefits: Child pose calms the body, mind and spirit and stimulates the third eye point. Child pose gently stretches the low back, massages and tones the abdominal organs, and stimulates digestion and elimination.
Contraindications: Recent or chronic injury to the knees.
Modifications: A) Place a blanket under the hips, knees and/or head. B) If pregnant, spread the knees wide apart to remove any pressure on the abdomen.
Variations: Open the knees wider to slide the arms between the legs reaching under the body and turn the head to the side.
Child is a resting pose that can be used at any time, and is especially enjoyable after an challenging pose.