1. From Table position, tuck the toes under and walk the hands in towards the feet, keeping the knees bent and bringing the hips pressed down towards the heels in a squatting position.
2. Walk the feet a little further apart until the torso is not resting against the thighs and the feet are flat on the floor.
Viewing ads supports YogaBasics. Remove ads with a membership. Thanks!
3. Keep your hands on the floor in front of you as you slowly extend and straighten the right leg, pressing out through the heel. Let the hips sink down towards the left heel.
4. Breathe and hold for 1-3 breaths.
5. To release: slowly slide the extended leg back into a squatting position.
6. Repeat on other side.
Benefits + Contraindications
Benefits: Extended leg squat opens the hips and stretches the backs of the legs.
Contraindications: Recent or chronic injury to the knees, legs or hips.
Modifications + Variations
Modifications: Place yoga blocks under the hands.
Variations: Place palms together in front of the heart.