FirelogLevel of Difficulty: Intermediate
1. From a seated position, place the left foot or ankle on top of the right knee and slide the right foot forward until it is directly below the left knee. Do not do this pose if you feel any pain in the knees.
2. Inhale and press the hips down and reach the crown of the head up towards the ceiling. Drop the shoulders down and back and press the chest towards the front. Gently allow the knees to relax down towards the floor to open the hips.
3. Keeping the back flat and the chest open, exhale and gently reach your torso forward as far as comfortable and either hold onto the knees or walk your hands forward. If possible, let your head touch the floor.
4. Breathe and hold for 2-6 breaths.
5. Slowly inhale up and repeat on the other side.
Benefits + Contraindications
Benefits: Double pigeon stretches the thighs, groins and psoas and stimulates the abdominal organs. Even though this pose strongly opens the hips, a moderate level of hip flexibility is required as to not injure the knees.
Contraindications: Recent or chronic knee or low back injury or inflammation.
Modifications + Variations
Modifications: A) Place a folded blanket under the hip bones. B) Place a folded blanket between the legs.
Variations: Rest elbows on knees, place palms together in anjali mudra and rest forehead on fingertips.
This pose is also known as Burning Log pose or Double Pigeon pose.