1. From Standing Forward Fold, step or jump both feet back 4-5 feet into a push-up position.
2. Spread the fingers wide apart with the middle finger pointing forward, press into the palms with the arms are straight. Tuck the tailbone under so the legs, hips and torso are one straight line. Press the crown of the head forward and with the toes tucked, press the heels back.
Viewing ads supports YogaBasics. Remove ads with a membership. Thanks!
3. Exhale and keep the body in a straight line as you lower down towards the floor, holding 4-6 inches above the floor. Have a 90 degree bend in the elbows and keep the shoulders at the same height as the elbows.
4. Breathe and hold for 1-4 breaths.
5. To release: either inhale up to plank pose or exhale all the way down to the floor.
Benefits + Contraindications
Benefits: Chaturanga builds upper and core body strength, lengthens the spine and strengthens the low back muscles.
Contraindications: Recent or chronic injury to the arms, back or shoulders.
Modifications + Variations
Modifications: Bend both knees to the floor.