1. Lie on your belly, with the legs together or a few inches apart. Bring the chin to the floor and slide the right arm along the floor, over your head with the palm facing down.
2. Bend the right knee and reach the left hand back to hold onto the right heel or ankle (opposite hand to foot).
3. Inhale and kick the right foot into the arm to lift the right leg, head and chest off of the floor. Keep the neck in line with the spine and look up at the forehead.
4. Press down into the right arm for support, or lift the right arm off of the floor, keeping it parallel to the floor.
5. Breathe and hold for 2-6 breaths.
6. To release: slowly exhale and lower the leg, arm, head and chest down to the floor.
7. Repeat on other side.
Benefits + Contraindications
Benefits: Half bow energizes and strengthens the entire body, and especially builds core body strength. Half bow stimulates the kidneys, adrenals and reproductive system.
Contraindications: Recent or chronic injury to the legs, hips, neck or arms; pregnancy, recent abdominal surgery.
Modifications + Variations
Modifications: Use a yoga strap looped around the foot and held with one hand.
Variations: Reach both hands back to hold onto the raised foot/ankle for a deeper backbend.
Disclosure: YogaBasics.com participates in several affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. When you click on external links, we may receive a small commission, which helps us keep the lights on.