1. From Table pose, slowly drop the hips forward toward the floor.
2. Press palms down into the floor, drop the shoulders down and back, press the chest forward and reach the crown of the head up towards the ceiling.
3. Inhale and lift thighs and legs off of the floor by pressing the tops of the feet down and engaging mula bandha.
4. Breathe and hold for 1-3 breaths.
5. To release: bend the knees and lift the hips back up into table position
Benefits + Contraindications
Benefits: Upward Facing Dog opens the chest and strengthens the whole body. Up dog aligns the spine and invigorates the kidneys and nervous system.
Contraindications: Recent or chronic injury to the back, hips, arms or shoulders, pregnancy and recent abdominal surgery.
Modifications + Variations
Modifications: Place yoga blocks under the palms.
Variations: Tuck the toes under to lift the legs higher off the floor.
Disclosure: YogaBasics.com participates in several affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. When you click on external links, we may receive a small commission, which helps us keep the lights on.