Cannabidiol (CBD) has been a somewhat controversial wellness product for the last few years, especially when used for meditation. As CBD oil and hemp oils enter wider usage, it turns out there are a lot of benefits to using these supplements to enhance meditation. If you have struggled or have been unsuccessful in establishing a meditation practice due to anxiety, restlessness, or pain, then CBD might be a great help. If you felt unsure or intimidated about using hemp oils, this guide will provide an overview of what CBD is and how to use it for mindfulness practices.
What Is CBD Oil?
CBD is one of the 113 potentially beneficial compounds found in the hemp plant. When people think about using hemp or CBD oil, they often get confused about marijuana, and it’s THC compound that gets you high. CBD oils do not have the same negative side effects of THC, such as hyperactivity, spatial and verbal impairment, short term memory loss, and paranoia.
Viewing ads supports YogaBasics. Remove ads with a membership. Thanks!
It’s understandable if you’re a bit hesitant to try CBD oil, but know that it is something completely different than THC. Rather than running the risk of leaving you paranoid and anxious, CBD oil can be very supportive for meditation due to its mind-body balancing and stress-relieving effects.
Can You Get High On Hemp Oil?
CBD is non-intoxicating, yet there are some kinds of hemp oil which do have a small amount of THC. Hemp oil, by federal regulation standards, are required to have no more than 0.3% THC. Hemp oil is either found in isolate, full, or broad-spectrum extracts. Full-spectrum means that all of the plant compounds are preserved in the final product, and this means there is likely to be a small amount of THC. If you are extremely sensitive, you want to use a broad-spectrum or isolate, which has absolutely no THC at all.
Why Should You Use CBD Oil For Meditation?
We understand and support the argument that students should avoid “external substances” to help them meditate. Yes, the use of CBD can be seen as a crutch, but there are many positive reasons to use hemp oil for your meditation. Many of these benefits are similar to using CBD for Yoga, but there are also specific benefits related to meditation. CBD works slowly with your endocannabinoid system, and it may take several weeks or months to notice the benefits. The top four benefits include:
- Increased ability to concentrate. This is important, especially when you’re beginning your practice and when you wish to extend your meditation practice time. CBD oil has been shown to improve concentration, focus, and attention. This, in turn, allows your mind to resist random thoughts and allows you to sit for longer periods with less distraction.
- Stabilizes and improves your mood. Meditation is all about peace of mind and helping you feel rested and positive. CBD oil helps you stay calm and improves the production of serotonin in your brain. A better mood means a longer meditation period. Meditation, like everything else, is a skill, and the more you can do it, the better your mindfulness practice will be.
- Decreases stress and anxiety. If your mind is full of worry and anxiety, it will be very difficult to sit still and enjoy 10 minutes of silence. There is a growing body of scientific evidence that CBD can help soothe symptoms of stress and anxiety. One study showed the ability of CBD in reducing PTSD induced anxiety. Having a calm mind at the start of your meditation will ensure greater success in your practice.
- Reduced pain and muscle soreness. If you’re someone with a disability, chronic pain, or a limited range of motion, CBD oil has been shown to reduce pain. Yoga and meditation both have short and long-term benefits for chronic pain conditions. Hemp oil can help relax tense muscles and help with inflammation, which improves your range of motion for yoga, as well as your ability to sit still for your meditative practice.
How To Use CBD Oil For Meditation
There are a few ways to incorporate hemp oil into your meditation. You may feel the calming and focusing effects right away, or it could take 15-60 minutes, so plan your dosage based on your response. There are three main ways to take CBD:
- Taking CBD orally before practice. Put a dropper full (or other recommended amount) of a CBD tincture under your tongue for 60 seconds before swallowing. CBD oil tincture manufacturer CBDfx recommends to start with a small amount (1/4 to a full dropper) and gradually increase until you find your perfect serving.
- Add Hemp oil to your morning smoothie or add it to some tea. If used in tea, you can sip it slowly during your yoga practice, and when you’re ready to meditate, your body will be relaxed and ready.
- Adding oil to your skincare. Adding hemp oil to your favorite hand cream and then applying it to your hands, neck, and chest before you start can help you in your meditation. You can add the oils to your favorite creams yourself or choose hemp-infused products. Make sure you test new skin products on small patches of skin and wait 12 hours for any allergic reaction.