The emotion of love is universal, yet it is one of our most fragile, temperamental and vulnerable feelings to express and cultivate. If approached skilfully and mindfully, love has the power to heal and nourish us on a deep and profound level. The ancient yogis saw love and devotion to be such powerful spiritual tools that they created an entire branch of yoga called Bhakti Yoga! While we’ll see the most benefits from encouraging feelings of love, compassion, and kindness every day, a committed daily practice can be difficult when life gets busy. That’s why we’ve compiled these 21 inspiring quotes on yoga and love—to inspire, remind and motivate us to shift into a place of love and open-heartedness. We hope these yoga quotes will allow you to find a deeper connection to your practice both on and off the yoga mat or meditation cushion.
Our Favorite Inspirational Quotes on Yoga and Love
- All things in the universe are of divine origin and deserve to be loved; it has, however, to be borne in mind that the love of the whole includes the love of the parts. ― Swami Vivekananda
- You are loved just for being who you are, just for existing. You don’t have to do anything to earn it. Your shortcomings, your lack of self-esteem, physical perfection, or social and economic success—none of that matters. No one can take this love away from you, and it will always be here. ― Ram Dass
- Find the love you seek, by first finding the love within yourself. Learn to rest in that place within you that is your true home. ― Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
- We don’t set out to save the world; we set out to wonder how other people are doing and to reflect on how our actions affect other people’s hearts. ― Pema Chodron
- As soon as you honor the present moment, all unhappiness and struggle dissolve, and life begins to flow with joy and ease. When you act out the present-moment awareness, whatever you do becomes imbued with a sense of quality, care, and love – even the most simple action. ― Eckhart Tolle
- The love of God, the love of the Spirit, is an all-consuming love. Once you have experienced it, it shall lead you on and on in the eternal realms. That love will never be taken away from your heart. It shall burn there, and in its fire you shall find the great magnetism of Spirit that draws others unto you, and attracts whatsoever you truly need or desire. ― Paramahansa Yogananda
- Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built. ― Rumi
- I offer you peace. I offer you love. I offer you friendship. I see your beauty. I hear your need. I feel your feelings. My wisdom flows from the Highest Source. I salute that Source in you. Let us work together for unity and love. ― Gandhi
- Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage. ― Lao Tzu
- Every day, think as you wake up, say, today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others; to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings. I am going to have kind thoughts towards others, I am not going to get angry or think badly about others. I am going to benefit others as much as I can. ― The Dalai Lama
- The major characteristic of love is the absence of conflict. When conflict is born and increases daily, true love gradually diminishes. Where conflict finds fault, love sees virtue. When love increases daily, its flower blossoms fully, spreading its sweet fragrance everywhere. ― Swami Kripalu
- Understanding someone’s suffering is the best gift you can give another person. Understanding is love’s other name. If you don’t understand, you can’t love. ― Thich Nhat Hanh
- The more we grow in love and virtue and holiness, the more we see love and virtue and holiness outside. All condemnation of others really condemns ourselves. Adjust the microcosm (which is in your power to do) and the macrocosm will adjust itself for you. ― Swami Vivekananda
- Without faith, love is not possible. Without love, life is diminished. Love deeply and with abandon. ― Judith Hanson Lasater
- Bodhichitta is a Sanskrit word that means “noble or awakened heart.” It is said to be present in all beings. Just as butter is inherent in milk and oil is inherent in a sesame seed, this soft spot is inherent in you and me. It is said that in difficult times, it is only bodhichitta that heals. When inspiration has become hidden, when we feel ready to give up, this is the time when healing can be found in the tenderness of the pain itself. ― Pema Chodron
- The natural state of this universe is attraction; and that is surely followed by an ultimate disunion. Even so, love is the natural impetus of union in the human heart; and though itself a great cause of misery, properly directed towards the proper object, it brings deliverance. ― Swami Vivekananda
- To love those that love you is easy. To love those that love you not is not so simple. If you want to change anyone, set a better example. Show more kindness, more understanding, more love. That has a sure effect. To those who are not kind, show kindness. To those who are mean, show bigness of heart. ― Paramahansa Yogananda
- Learning how to love is the goal and the purpose of spiritual life–not learning how to develop psychic powers, not learning how to bow, chant, do yoga, or even meditate, but learning to love. Love is the truth. Love is the light. ― Lama Surya Das
- Truly, the wise proclaim that love is the only path, love is the only God, and love is the only scripture. Only love can bring unity and remove the separation between all living beings. Only love purifies the body and mind. Love is not far away; it is as close as your heart. You can find it living there without walking a single step. ― Swami Kripalu
- The most important aspect of love is not in giving or the receiving: it’s in the being. When I need love from others, or need to give love to others, I’m caught in an unstable situation. Being in love, rather than giving or taking love, is the only thing that provides stability. Being in love means seeing the Beloved all around me. ― Ram Dass
- To love, we need to be sensitive to those around us, which is impossible if we are racing through life engrossed in all the things we need to do before sunset. In fact, I would go to the extent of saying that a person who is always late will find it difficult to love; he will be in too much of a hurry. ― Eknath Easwaran
How to Use Inspirational Quotes in Your Yoga Practice
Quotes are powerful tools you can use to inspire yourself to action. Each quote is a bite-sized nugget of potent wisdom, often presented in a poetic or otherwise memorable way. Here are a few practical ways to incorporate these inspirational quotes on yoga and love into your practice:
- Print out the list of quotes and post them wherever you might need a reminder to practice mindfulness, yoga, and meditation with an open heart.
- Create an intention card or small piece of artwork featuring a quote and place it on your personal altar or in your practice space.
- Share your favorite quotes on social media to build communal support for your expression and use of Bhakti and love in your yoga practices.
- Read a few quotes before you practice yoga or meditation to set an intention or mood for your practice.
- Use a quote as the seed thought for deep contemplation or journaling.
Are there any other quotes on yoga and love that have encouraged and supported you to receive and express love? We’d love to hear them, so please post them in the comments below!