Extended Dog PoseLevel of Difficulty: Basic
1. From table pose, inhale and reach the tailbone up towards the ceiling.
2. Exhale and slide the hands forward to lower the forehead straight down to the floor keeping the hips lifted over the knees. Let the chest sink down towards the floor, feeling an arch and stretch in the middle of the back.
3. To deepen the stretch in the arms, shoulders and spine, straighten the arms, lift the elbows off the floor, super glue the palms down and reach back through the hips.
4. Breathe and hold for 4-8 breaths.
5. To release: inhale and bring the palms under the shoulders and press back into table position.
Benefits + Contraindications
Benefits: Extended Dog pose lengthens and realigns the spine and gently stretches the upper back, arms, and shoulders.
Contradictions: Recent or chronic injury to the knees, back, arms or shoulders.
Modifications + Variations
Modifications: Place a folded blanket under the knees to protect them.
Variation: Place the chin on the floor to deeply stretch the neck.
Use one or more of the following postures to build a sequence leading up to this pose: Table, Dog.
Use one or more of the following postures to build a sequence ending after this pose: Cobra, Child, Hero, Table.