1. On you hands and knees in Table pose, slide the right hand between the left hand and left knee. Slide the arm all the way out to the left so that the right shoulder and side of the head rest comfortably on the floor.
2. Inhale and reach the left hand up towards the ceiling. At first explore the posture with the arm, finding the place were you feel the deepest stretch, then stay there and reach out through the fingers.
3. Breathe and hold for 3-6 breaths.
4. To release: exhale the palm back to the floor and slowly inhale back to Table pose.
5. Repeat on the other side.
Benefits + Contraindications
Benefits: Threading the Needle pose stretches the shoulders, arms, upper back and neck.
Contraindications: Recent or chronic injury to the knees, shoulders, or neck.
Modifications + Variations
Modifications: Place a folded blanket under the knees to protect them from pressure and stress.
Variations: Cross upper hand over back and hold onto the inside of opposite thigh.
Disclosure: YogaBasics.com participates in several affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. When you click on external links, we may receive a small commission, which helps us keep the lights on.